Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Chalkboard Holiday Wishes Wreath


A Blog Named Hero's current challenge theme is to copy a designer. I found this card by Emily Midgett that I'd pinned last summer, and liked the chalkboard look. I decided to create a wreath card with a chalkboard feel to it.

I cut a piece of black cardstock to 4.25" square. After I marked the center with a pencil, I stamped my greeting, from Hero Arts' "Color Layering Christmas Tree." I heat embossed that with Recollections Snow detail embossing powder.

I traced a circle die with a pencil around the greeting, to give me a guide for my wreath. Then I stamped one of the pine branches from Hero Arts' "Pine Branches" in Versamark several times around that circle. Then I white heat embossed those. I stamped a different pine branch around the wreath again, this time using just Yeti pigment ink from Lawn Fawn to get a more dimensional feel overall. I felt the heat embossed part of the wreath was a bit too "perfect," though. So I stamped more branches, just to fill out that part, and heat embossed those.

To finish the wreath, I stamped berries from "Pine Branches" in Versamark ink around the wreath. I heat embossed those with Ranger Red embossing tinsel. I didn't get the greatest coverage the first time, so I went over them with my Versamarker to add more ink, and embossed them a second time. Finally, I added gold gel pen accents to the ends of the berries. When the gold ink had dried, I smudged some white ink around the image with my finger, to emulate eraser marks on a chalkboard.

I tied a "faux" bow, following the instructions in this video, at the bottom of my wreath. I cut strips of red cardstock, and adhered them to either side of my image panel. Then I adhered that to a white A2 card base. I got this layout idea from Darlene DeVries.

I'm also entering this card in a2z Scrapbooking's November challenge: "Winter."

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the a2z Scrapbooking Blog's November "Winter" challenge!
    Hugs,
    Leslie, a2z DT
    Love To Scrap 2
    Love To Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Fantastic CASE. I never would have thought to do Chalkboard for Christmas. So glad you joined us at A2Z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love this! thanks for joining us at a2z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! Thank you for joining the November challenge at A Blog Named Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just lovely!! The black and red and white combo is so striking and festive. Thanks so much for joining us over at A Blog Named Hero!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!