Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Shoot for the Moon


I decided to create another card for A Blog Named Hero's "One Layer" challenge. The woman I send cards to for Send a Smile 4 Kids is desperate for boy cards, so I figured this one would work for that! I decided to create a galaxy background, so I used 140 lb. watercolor paper.

I used Hero Arts' "Shoot for the Moon" stamp set. I began by die cutting 2 circles from masking paper using the "Standard Circles LG" & "Standard Circles SM" die sets from Spellbinders. After I determined where everything would go, I stamped Saturn with Colorbox Putty archival dye ink. I colored it with my Inktense pencils, using a damp paintbrush to pick up the color & apply it to the paper. I then stamped it again with Versamark ink, & clear heat embossed it to seal in the color.

To create the moon & Earth, I placed the negative of my circle masks on my card panel. I used an ink dauber to blend a light coat of Scattered Straw Distress ink onto the larger opening (for the moon), and then made "craters" with Stormy Sky Distress ink. I used another dauber to ink over the whole thing with Lawn Fawn Yeti pigment ink. The yellow & blue areas show through, but it's still subtle. Finally, I stamped my greeting with Versafine Onyx Black ink. For Earth, I blended Broken China Distress ink through my mask, then colored a rough estimation of continents with a green Tombow marker.

For the background, I first masked off my moon & Earth with the masks I'd die cut. I inked over the whole background with Distress inks in Picked Raspberry, Mustard Seed, & Mermaid Lagoon. When it looked like a hot mess, I knew it was time to add the black! :) I inked over the whole panel with Black Soot Distress ink. This is always kind of scary, because the risk of ruining your whole panel is there. But I think this actually came out to be the best I've ever done! After I'd finished inking, I spattered 2 colors of Gansai Tambi Starry Colors over the panel for stars.

I removed the masks, and replaced the negative masking pieces. I inked Earth & the moon with Versamark, and clear heat embossed them, so they would match Saturn. Finally, I removed my masks & adhered my panel to a white A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in 613 Avenue Create's Challenge #201: "Anything Goes."

2 comments:

  1. This card is beautiful!! Your background looks great! Where would I find more info on send a smile 4 kids? Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!