Friday, April 14, 2017

Season's Tweetings


Christmas Card Throwdown's April challenge theme is "Musical Notation." I must admit, I kind of struggled with this. Finally, I decided to use Lawn Fawn's "Winter Sparrows" stamp set & coordinating dies to make a shaker card.

I began by using The Crafter's Workshop "Mini Aspen Trees" stencil to create my background on a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper. I used Stormy Sky Distress ink for the sky, creating an ombre effect. I also colored in the spots on the trees with a black felt-tip pen, before removing the stencil.

I stamped the birds from "Winter Sparrows" onto a scrap of watercolor paper with Hero Arts Charcoal ink, and colored them with my Tombow markers. I used the blending marker to add some highlighting. I also stamped the music note several times on watercolor paper, again with Charcoal ink. Finally, I used the coordinating dies to die cut the birds & notes.

For the frame, I used the largest of Lawn Fawn's "Large Stitched Rectangle" dies with one of the "Stitched Rectangles" dies from Simon Says Stamp. I nested the smaller die in the large die, and die cut the frame from Simon Says Stamp's Fog cardstock. I cut a piece of Crafter's Companion Heat Resistant Acetate just smaller than my frame, and stamped my greeting (also from "Winter Sparrows") in Versamark ink. Then I heat embossed it with Ranger Silver embossing powder. I adhered it behind my frame with Scor-Tape, and added a double-thickness of foam tape.

I glued my birds to the background panel. I decided that my Charcoal notes wouldn't show up well enough if I glued them to the panel as well, so I stamped more notes directly on the background around the birds with Hero Arts black ink. I also decided at this point to add a hill to ground my trees. So I cut a piece of Canson XL Mixed Media paper with a Lawn Fawn "Stitched Hillside Borders" die, and glued it to the bottom of my panel.

To assemble my card, I added sequins from Pretty Pink Posh & Darice. I brushed cornstarch around the inside edges of the foam tape, to remove the stickiness so my sequins wouldn't stick to it. I also glued several sequins to the background, just for added interest. Finally, I adhered my background panel to the frame. I glued my die cut music notes to the front of the acetate window, mounted the card front to a white A2 card base, and this card was done!

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Pile It On #129: "Interactive Cards"
Merry Monday Christmas Challenge #243: "Make a Scene"
Lawn Fawnatics Challenge #2: "Interactive Cards"

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous card! I love those cute little birds singing, and those tiny notes stamped on the background. Lovely shaker too. Thanks so much for playing along with our Musical Notation challenge at Christmas Card Throwdown. Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun shaker design! I love the beautiful stenciled backdrop! So glad you joined us at Lawn Fawnatics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have struggled but you came up with a great card. It's so happy!
    Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Andrea, this is a fabulous 'music' card, those chirping birds are too cute and a shaker card as well -love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwww...what a sweet, sweet little scene you've created! Those birds are just adorable! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely charming as a shaker card - super cute!! Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Pile it On Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEK!! This is so FUN! I love it all!! Thanks for playing with us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful detailed scene you made! And a shaker too! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How stinking cute is that card! Adorable with a capital "C" Thank you for sharing with us at 52 {Christmas} Card Throwdown - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!