Saturday, February 4, 2017

Love & Laughter


This is my second card for Merry Monday's "The Magic Number is 5" challenge. I used one of the tree stamps (at least, I assume they're meant to be trees) from Hero Arts' "Joy to the World" set. (I stamped it 5 times total to create my star.)


I began by cutting a piece of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper to 5x5". I drew a vertical line to mark the center of that panel, and another line perpendicular to that, 2" from the top. I centered my "tree" stamp with the point on the vertical line & the base on the horizontal line, and stamped with Versafine Onyx Black ink. I stamped twice more on either side, lining up the side of the triangle with my horizontal line. Finally, I added the bottom 2 sections to my star, by lining up one bottom point of the stamp with the vertical line & the other bottom point with each of the triangles I'd just stamped. Finally, I sprinkled on some Recollections Clear Detail embossing powder, and heat set that. I used a greeting from the same stamp set, stamping it with Versafine in the center of my star, and heat embossing it with clear powder. Then I erased my pencil lines.

To color my star, I used Carmine Red & Light Carmine Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. I started at the broad end of each triangle section with the Carmine, and went out about 1/3 of the way. I used the Light Carmine to blend that out and add some lighter color, and finally used a damp paintbrush with just water to fade the pink out to the end. I repeated that for all 5 triangles, and also used the same procedure to color the center.

I added some Red Gold Gansai Tambi Starry Colors watercolor around the perimeter of my star, using a damp brush to feather out the color as it went away from the edges of the star. Finally, I matted that panel with gold mirror cardstock, adhered that to a 5.5" square piece of red cardstock, and mounted that to my 5.5" square white card base.

I'm also entering this in a2z Scrapbooking's February Challenge: "Any Shade of Red."

22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's a grand idea to use your trees to make a star. It turned out fabulously, I like the sentiment too, fits perfectly in the middle.
    pjs-projects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever to use that stamp this way!! Well done! Thanks for joining in the fun at a2z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, great way to use the tree stamp, so creative, lovely Christmas card. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat how you used the tree image to make the star. Very creative! Thanks for playing Merry Monday with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative and clever. The result is a one of a kind beauty. So glad you joined us at A2Z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever, using the trees to make a star! Love it. Thanks for joining a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super clever to use tree stamps to make the star! Nice way to have your 5 things too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU go; that's AWESOME! I am so non-creative in thinking outside the box!! Love it!

    Thank you for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking!
    ~Michele, DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you made this! Thanks for joining us at a2z!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a resourceful way to stretch your stamps - using the stamp in unique ways to create something new. Thanks for joining us at a2z

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous Christmas card. Love the colors on the star. Thank You for playing along with a2z Scrapbooking February Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!