Sunday, July 3, 2016

Floral Sympathy Card


A friend of mine recently lost her husband, quite suddenly & unexpectedly. So I made this sympathy card to send to her. My inspiration came from this card that I found on Pinterest.

I started by stamping one of the "Sweet William" flowers (apparently discontinued) by Our Daily Bread Designs several times on white cardstock. I used Memento dye inks in Angel Pink & Lulu Lavender for some, and second-generation stamping with Hero Arts Soft Lilac for the rest. I fussy cut them out, and set those aside while I worked on the rest of the card.

For the background, I cut a piece of green cardstock to 4x5.25". I embossed it with a Cuttlebug embossing folder (sorry, but I don't know the name). I thought the swirls in this particular folder looked like vines--perfect for my floral theme!

I used a greeting from Doodle Pantry's "Sweet Sympathy Sentiments" set, and printed it on a banner I'd cut from pink parchment paper.

To assemble the card, I arranged the flowers on the background panel, without gluing any down. I used a piece of Press 'n Seal to pick them up as a group, and applied glue to the backs of most of them. I flipped the Press 'n Seal over, and laid the still-stuck flowers on my background. I let that set for a couple of seconds, then CAREFULLY peeled up the Press 'n Seal, leaving the flowers glued to the panel. I took 3 flowers, and popped them up on foam tape. I then cut away the green cardstock where it peeked out behind the flowers in the corner.

After rounding the upper right corner with my 1/2" Corner Chomper, I adhered my panel to a piece of lavender cardstock, cut to 4.25x5.5". After popping my greeting banner on foam tape, I mounted my card front to a white A2 card base, and rounded the top right corner. I fussy cut the bottom left corner, following the flowers, just for a different look. I also cut off the overhanging portions of the flowers on the left & bottom edges. Finally, I added dots of White Opal Liquid Pearls to the centers of the flowers.

I'm entering my card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: "Anything Goes"
Through the Craft Room Door: "Anything Goes"
Craft Your Passion: "Anything Goes"
Our Daily Bread Designs: "Add Dimension or Pop It Up"

6 comments:

  1. beautiful card. sorry to hear of the loss for your friend :( thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Andrea! This is a beautiful, comforting card for her, I'm sure she'll love it!Thank you for sharing your creation with us at the ODBD Shining the Light Challenge this week!

    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card looks LOVELY, Andrea! I LOVE the way you did the sentiment & the colors you've used, & I am SURE your friend appreciated your thinking enough of her to make this at this difficult time in her life! Such friends are TREASURES! THANK YOU for coming over to visit & leaving me some love! (((HUGS to you!!!))) ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!