Friday, June 3, 2016

New Adventure


One of my mom's assistants is leaving her position at the end of this school year. Since she's not really retiring, Mama asked me to make a "non-retirement" card for her.

Since I have never made any retirement (or "non-retirement") cards, I did a search on Pinterest to get some ideas. I found this card, which I decided to CASE after Mama approved the design.

I began by stamping the "Chicory" image by Our Daily Bread Designs onto a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper, using second-generation stamping with Hero Arts Soft Granite ink. Because the stem was too short for my design, I used one of the stamps from Simon Says Stamp's "Artful Flowers" set to lengthen it. Then I did some no-line coloring with my Inktense pencils, using a damp paintbrush to pick up and apply the color.

I had seen Nichol Magouirk do a floral card on one of her YouTube videos. She had added a "glow" around the image with watered-down Evergreen Bough Distress ink. I liked the look, so I decided to try it on this card. Well, it didn't work out for me quite as well as for Nichol! Basically, the edges were just too harsh, and I couldn't seem to blend the color out softly to white. So I ended up coloring the whole background with Evergreen Bough & a wet brush.

Once I'd finished the painting, I scanned the panel into my computer. I used that image to place my text in Photoshop, then printed the text directly onto my panel. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the right margin of the greeting mimics the curve of the stem. Talk about a happy accident!

After rounding the corners of my focal panel with my 1/4" Corner Chomper, I matted it with black, trimmed to 1/16" on all sides, and rounded those corners. I cut a piece of patterned paper from My Mind's Eye's Cut & Paste "Adorbs" 6x6" pad to 4-1/8x5-3/8", and matted that with black after rounding the corners of both. At that point, I decided I wanted my ribbon to go just around the patterned paper panel, so I CAREFULLY peeled it from the black mat, and wrapped a piece of sheer white ribbon around the panel, adhering the ends to the back. I adhered my focal panel over the ribbon, and "re-matted" the patterned paper. I created a bow, following this tutorial, from the same ribbon, and tied that on. Finally, I adhered my completed card from to a white A2 card base, and rounded the corners of the base.

I'm entering this card in Our Daily Bread Designs' "April Showers Bring May ODBD Flowers" challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!