Monday, November 30, 2015

Merry Christmas from Mimi


I have another card that I sent to Send a Smile 4 Kids. This one uses one of the images from "Mimi's Winter Friends" by Penny Black. I used Operation Write Home's Sketch #110 for my design:


I stamped Mimi on a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper that I'd die cut with the Lawn Fawn "Stitched Journaling Card" die. Because I wanted to watercolor her, I used Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. I colored her with my Inktense pencils and a damp paintbrush. Once I'd finished, I wet the area below her with clean water, and added a wash of Pumice Stone Distress ink. I did the same for the sky, using Broken China Distress ink.

I sat back & looked at it--and thought, this is supposed to be a winter card. In particular, a winter card that's going to a child up north, where it snows. It should have snow on the ground instead of dirt! (In my defense, here in Texas we don't get much snow. Dirt is very realistic for winter scenes!) I was not about to scrap it and start over completely, though. So I went over the Pumice Stone area with white gesso. The Pumice Stone reactivated enough to color the gesso, so it's not just stark white, but I think that looks better than just white. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! LOL) When the gesso dried, I stamped my greeting, from Hero Arts' "Merry Christmas Message," with Archival Jet Black ink.

I cut a piece of green patterned paper from my scrap stash to 4.25x5.5", and adhered it to the front of a white A2 card base. I also cut 3 strips from a piece of pink paper from BoBunny's "Candy Cane Lane" 6x6" pad. I punched 3 snowflakes from white glitter cardstock with an old EK Success punch, and glued them to the ends of my pink strips. I measured where to adhere my strips, and put them in place. Then I adhered my focal panel, and I was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!