Saturday, September 19, 2015

Boo! To You


Yes, it's another Halloween card for Send a Smile 4 Kids. And yes, it has more of those Recollections Halloween cat stickers I'm trying to use up. I just can't help myself! :)

I based the design of my card on Operation Write Home's Sketch #199:


I pretty much ignored the measurements of the squares in the sketch. Instead, I made cut-out windows sized to fit my cats.

I chose my background paper from Jillibean Soup's "Owloween Stew" 6x6" pad. Because it is such a bold pattern, I decided to "whitewash" it with a few layers of Picket Fence Distress stain, to mute the colors a bit. Once I did that, I let it air dry completely. I measured my cats, and marked where the openings in the panel should go. Then I cut those with my craft knife. I applied foam tape liberally to the back of my patterned paper panel, and adhered it to a piece of purple cardstock. Then I applied Ranger Multi Medium Matte to the back of my stickers, to make sure they would stay put, and glued them in place.

For the greeting, I chose one from a set by Hampton Art (name unknown). I heat embossed it with Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder on a scrap of lighter purple cardstock. I trimmed the strip down to the same height as the windows, and gave the left side a shallow V-shaped banner end. Finally, I adhered it to the lower right of my patterned paper panel, opposite the bottom window opening.

I mounted the card front to a white A2 card base, then added some sequins by Doodlebug Design. As a finishing touch, I applied dots of purple Stickles to the centers of the sequins.

I'm entering this card in Live Love Cards' September challenge: "Sparkle & Shine."

2 comments:

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!