Tuesday, June 16, 2015

You Are Awesome


The current challenge theme at Send a Smile 4 Kids is "For the Girls." I decided to make a card that a teenage (or maybe even 'tween) girl would like to receive. A feminine pick-me-up for a hospitalized child!

I took my inspiration from this card by Yana Smakula. To create my background, I first used the 3 solid flower images in Simon Says Stamp's "Artful Flowers" stamp set. I stamped them randomly around a piece of white cardstock, cut slightly larger than A2 size. I used mostly Hero Arts inks: Butter Bar, Pale Tomato, Fresh Peach, and Bubble Gum; and also Stampabilities' Light Pink pigment ink. Once I finished stamping the flowers, I filled in the empty spaces with the 3 berries stamp in WPlus9's "Spring Blooms" set, using the same inks. Finally, I took the outline images from "Artful Flowers," and stamped over all the flower images with Hero Arts Charcoal ink.

I used the largest die from Lawn Fawn's "Large Stitched Rectangle" set, as well as the second-to-largest die from Simon Says Stamp's "Stitched Rectangles." I taped them together, with an even spacing between them, and die cut my stamped panel. I also die cut a piece of vellum with the Simon die, to use as my overlay. I ran the vellum through my Xyron Creative Station machine, to apply an even layer of adhesive to the back, then adhered it to the smaller stamped panel.

I placed my vellum-covered inner panel in my MISTI, and lined up the greeting stamps, from My Favorite Things' "Simply Fabulous Sayings" set. I closed the door of the MISTI to pick up the stamps, and stamped the greeting with Versafine Onyx Black ink. Because I was afraid the ink might not dry thoroughly enough on the vellum not to smear, I heat embossed it with Recollections Clear Detail embossing powder.

To assemble the card, I adhered the outer frame piece onto the front of a white A2 card base. Then I adhered the inner panel, making sure everything lined up & pointed in the right direction. Finally, I added a few drops of Onyx Pearl Liquid Pearls around the greeting, just for a little something special.

I'm also entering this card in the June "Vellum" challenge at Live Love Cards.

2 comments:

  1. I had seen Yana's card earlier. This is so pretty and sure to bring a smile to any recipient. I had wondered about running vellum through the Xyron machine... it really works!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!