Friday, April 3, 2015

Happy Birdday


The current challenge at Send a Smile 4 Kids' challenge blog is "Pastel Colors 4 Kids." I decided to create an interactive birthday card.

I began by die cutting my blue tag using the tag die from Pretty Pink Posh's "Stitched Duo 1." I also cut a "window" in the middle using the "Peek-a-Boo" die, also from Pretty Pink Posh. This was my first time using this die, and I thought it would add a cute element. I die cut another tag from 140 lb. watercolor paper, and one from a patterned paper from Die Cuts with a View. Finally, I die cut my background panel from light green cardstock, using the largest of the "Stitched Rectangles" dies from Simon Says Stamp.

I stamped the "Happy Birdday" greeting from Hero Arts' "Missing You" stamp set on the blue tag. I layered that tag on top of the watercolor paper tag, and marked where the window would be. Then I stamped the wonky bird from the same set within that spot. I erased my pencil lines, and colored him with watercolor pencils and a wet brush. When that was dry, I glued the blue tag on top.

I punched 2 tag reinforcers from white cardstock, using a 1/4" hole punch. I glued those to the tops of the blue and patterned paper tags, and let that dry. While the glue was drying, I used a stencil (source unknown) and Bundled Sage Distress ink to create a pattern on the green cardstock panel. By the time I finished that, the glue on the hole reinforcers had dried, so I punched a hole through each with an 1/8" hole punch. I layered my tags, and threaded several pieces of bakers twine from Queen & Company through the holes, tying them in a knot. Finally, I glued the tags in place on the green panel, with the patterned paper one peeking out from behind the blue tag. I added some Glossy Accents to the bird's eyes, and let that dry.

All that was left to do at that point was adhere the completed card front to a white A2 card base. I will be sending this card to Send a Smile 4 Kids. I hope the interactive element and cute birdie will bring a smile to a hospitalized child's face!

I'm also entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Happy Birthday" challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Super cute, Andrea! I love your use of this PPP die and the fun parrot image! Great job on that background, too. It's always a treat to read your creative process! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Happy Birthday” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your win, Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!