Friday, December 12, 2014

Merry Christmas/Snowballs - 25 Cents


Challenge #6 for Bugaboo's 2nd Annual "Holiday Chaos" series is to make a card with one or more Christmas critters on it. I recently got this image from them, and felt it would be perfect for this challenge--and a cute Christmas card to boot!

I began by working up a design in Photoshop. Originally, I had the greeting, from this Doodle Pantry set, below the image, and it worked. But when I was going back to our craft room to cut the focal panel, I thought I'd use the stitched rectangle die from the "Femme Frames" set by Mama Elephant. That decision threw a bit of a monkey wrench into my design, because with the size of the die cut, the greeting no longer fit under the image. And if I shrank the image to make the greeting fit, the whole design just didn't look right. So I ended up moving the greeting above the penguins, and cutting off the lower words on the greeting. But it works! So after these digital acrobatics, I finally printed the image out onto my die cut watercolor paper.

After masking around the edges of the stitched rectangle with painter's tape, I colored in the penguins with Inktense pencils and a damp paintbrush. I also added some light shading to the snowballs, just to make them look a little more 3-dimensional. When my coloring had dried, I applied clear water over the sky area, and washed in a light blue watercolor. I purposely left the wash just a bit blotchy, to add additional interest. Finally, I went over the penguins' eyes and the greeting with a black gel pen, so they would stand out a bit more.

I decided to mat the focal panel in black, so I cut a piece of paper with the scalloped "Femme Frames" die, and glued the watercolor panel to that. I printed a sentiment on the inside of an A2 card base. I accidentally tore a bit of the top layer off on one edge of the cardstock on my base (oops!). It wasn't bad enough that I couldn't cover it up though, so I die cut a piece of pale blue cardstock with the Avery Elle "Custom Panels" A2 die. I adhered my matted focal panel to that, and adhered that to my card base. To add a bit of sparkle, I glued some small silver sequins to the front with Ranger Multi Medium Matte. And that finished this card. Despite my creative twists and turns, I think it turned out quite well!

I'm also entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Bling It On" challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! Thank you so much for linking up with us in our “Holiday Chaos” challenges at Catch The Bug! Please join us, again, next time, for a new challenge and more chances to win! ~~Sammibug~~ DT Member For Bugaboo Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...such cute little penguins! Thanks so much for playing along in the Bling It On Challenge with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!