Sunday, October 12, 2014

Merriest Wishes


In celebration of World Card Making Day, which was on October 4 this year, a2z Scrapbooking has been having 3 week-long challenges on their blog. One of those was an inspiration challenge. They posted a photo collage as basic inspiration, and challenged card makers to create a project using aqua, white, & silver, and anything else in the photo that inspired them. This is another of my cards for that challenge. (You can see the first one I made here.)

I based my design on a sketch provided by My Favorite Things, to go with their "Blueprints 13" die set. The hardest part for me with this card--and what took the most time--was trying to decide what papers to use. I wanted something elegant, but not too over-the-top glittery. I ended up using only one patterned paper, 2 metallic cardstock pieces, and a piece of white cardstock, all from my scrap stash.

I die cut a piece of blue shimmer cardstock, using the largest die in the set, to use as my background. I cut the banners from the patterned paper and white cardstock. After die cutting, I dry embossed the white banner with the "A2 Tiny Polka Dot" embossing folder by The Paper Studio, just to give it some added interest. I also die cut a snowflake from silver mirror cardstock using a die from Spellbinders' "2013 Snowflake Pendant" set. I layered that on a circle that I'd cut from the blue shimmer piece with another of the MFT "Blueprints 13" dies, and finally matted that with yet another silver die cut piece.

I glued the banners onto the background (basically covering the hole left when I die cut the circle piece). I ran the snowflake through my Xyron Sticker Maker, to apply adhesive to the back. I adhered that to the blue circle, and that to the silver circular piece. Then I glued that to the patterned paper banner.

I stamped the greeting from this Hero Arts set onto a piece of white cardstock, using Versamark ink. I heat embossed it with Ranger Silver Embossing Tinsel, and cut the panel to size. I rounded the 4 corners with my 1/4" We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper, and inked the edges with a Memento Teal Zeal ink pad.

I wrapped a piece of sheer white ribbon around the card front. I made a "faux bow" using the same ribbon, following instructions in this YouTube video (the most helpful bow-making video for card makers I've found yet). Finally, I glued the greeting panel above the ribbon and adhered the entire panel to a white A2 card base.

Here is a close-up photo of the detail & shine on this card:



I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Hero Arts Holiday Challenge: "Mad About Metallics"
Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge: "Falling in Love With..." (I'm finally falling in love with the idea of making this year's holiday cards!)

2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful holiday card! Love the the pretty layers. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! THis is my absolute favorite Andrea...the colors area fabulous and the design is also lovely! Great work and so happy to see it our WCMD Challenge at a2z! Thanks for being such an amazing player!!

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!