Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Happy Holidays


This is the final holiday card I made for Operation Write Home this year. I based my design on this sketch from OWH:


I've had the stamp I used for the focal panel for eons (so long, in fact, I have no clue where it came from), and have never used it for some reason. But I finally decided to get it inky. I stamped it on a piece of watercolor paper with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. To get the circle shape, since I didn't have a die exactly the right size, I used the smallest of Spellbinders' "Grand Circles" dies as a template. I positioned it over my image, and traced around the inside. I cut just outside that circle, basically butting the cut line up against the bottoms of the snowmen & trees. Then I erased my pencil line, and colored the images with my Inktense pencils, using a damp paintbrush to blend the colors out. To highlight the greeting in the center of the image, I used Mustard Seed & Festive Berries Distress inks. I picked the colors up with a wet paintbrush and applied them much like watercolors.

Once I finished that, the card came together very quickly. I decided to alter the sketch somewhat, and make this a full A2-size card, rather than have the circle element stick out above the square card base. I cut a piece of patterned paper from my scrap stash to 4.25x5.5", and adhered it to my card base. I popped the focal panel on top of that with foam adhesive tape. I cut a piece of American Crafts' "North Pole" ribbon, backed it with a strip of white cardstock so the patterned paper wouldn't show through from behind, and glued that to the card front. And that finished this festive holiday card for OWH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!