Sunday, September 21, 2014

Happy Day


The theme for Simon Says Stamp's Monday challenge this week has been "Rock the Techniques." I've been struggling with that, mostly trying to figure out just what that means. I didn't want to enter something that didn't fit the theme! I finally came up with this card, employing a few different techniques.

I did not use a sketch for this card. I saw a card online a while back, that used the sheep from Hero Arts' "Missing You" stamp set. The card maker had stacked the sheep one on top of the other. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw the card! But I liked the idea of the stacked sheep, so I decided to CASE that element.

***Edited Note: I have since found that card! You can view it at Sarah Gray's blog, Funky Fossil Designs.***

I began by creating my background. I stamped Hero Arts' "Highline Ironwork Background" stamp onto a piece of white cardstock, using Versafine Onyx Black ink, & clear heat embossed it to create a resist. After trimming the panel to 4x5.25", I blended Scattered Straw, Shabby Shutters, Crushed Olive, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, and Fired Brick Distress inks over the embossing.

I stamped the sheep 3 times on white cardstock, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I stamped it again onto 3 different patterned papers, so I could paper piece them. I cut out the white sheep, and then cut out the wool part of the patterned sheep. I glued the wool pieces onto the bodies; "painted" the edges with a black brush tip marker to hide the white paper; and colored the noses, ears, and feet with a slate colored pencil, blending with Gamsol.

I stamped the greeting on a strip of green cardstock using Versafine. (Sorry, but I don't know the name or manufacturer of the stamp set.) I cut a black piece to go behind the sheep, as they kind of got lost if I put them directly on the background. I adhered the black and green strips, and the glued the sheep down. The greeting strip looked a little blank, so I stamped one of the borders from this set in Versafine. I matted the card front panel with a piece of black paper cut to 4.25x5.5", and adhered it onto an A2-size card base. As a finishing touch, I added some Glossy Accents to the sheep's eyes, just to give them a bit of shine.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Send a Smile 4 Kids "Fall Colors 4 Kids"
Operation Write Home/Our Daily Bread Designs "Create Your Own Background"

3 comments:

  1. Bueatiful background and very cute image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job with your background technique and I do like you stacked sheep. Thanks for joining us at Send a Smile 4 Kids. We do appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!