Saturday, August 16, 2014

I Miss You


This is my second card for the sketch challenge at Our Daily Bread Designs' blog. While I did keep to the basic sketch, I omitted the mats behind the layers.

My inspiration for the focal panel background came from a lesson at Online Card Classes' "Stretch Your Stamps 2" class, by Lisa Spangler. I stamped Stampabilities' "Wrought Iron Background" stamp on white cardstock using Versamark ink. Then I clear heat embossed it, and when the embossing had cooled, I blended Scattered Straw Distress ink over the panel. I spattered Heidi Swapp "Seafoam" and Dylusions "Postbox Red" spray inks over the panel, just to add some flecks of color. Finally, I did a technique called "iron off embossing." I placed the panel under a couple of sheets of copy paper, and used a warm iron to melt the embossing into the paper, thus removing it from the panel. Finally, I die cut it with Lawn Fawn's "Stitched Journaling Card" die.

For the focal image, I stamped Our Daily Bread Designs' "Chickadee" onto a piece of watercolor paper, using Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. I colored only the berries & branch with Inktense pencils, blending the color with my water brush. I did add a bit of orange on the bird's claws and beak, but basically left it uncolored. Because I wanted to pop the bird up from the background, I die cut it with the coordinating die, and cut 4 more pieces from white cardstock. Then I glued all the layers together. This pops it up, while providing more support to the smaller bits on the die cut.

Stitched Journaling card & embossing detail
I used the border embossing folder from the "Poppy" set by Cuttlebug & Anna Griffin to emboss the red and green strips. After I embossed those, I went over the green with Bundled Sage and the red with Victorian Velvet Distress inks, just to give a little more depth. I also used the main embossing folder from that set to emboss a piece of navy cardstock. I made a diffuser from matboard to use when I embossed, so the lower left corner of the panel would not be embossed, since I wanted to stamp my greeting there.

After gluing down my red and green strips, I stamped a greeting from this Hero Arts set on the navy panel, using Versamark. I heat embossed it with Ranger Super Fine Detail white embossing powder. Finally, I glued my focal panel on the card front, and glued the chickadee to that. I will be sending this card to Operation Write Home, for an overseas hero to write home to his/her loved ones.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Andrea!! I just love the coloring of your chickadee against the patterned background, and your rich colors with all the texture!! Gorgeous take on the sketch!! Thanks so much for sharing your talent again with us at ODBD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Andrea, I really LOVE this card with the wonderful texture you've added using the embossing! And this bird is one of my favorites and so beautifully colored! What a wonderful take on the sketch, and it's wonderful to have you join us again for the ODBD Shining the Light challenge! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!