Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hello, Beautiful


Our Daily Bread Designs' current bi-weekly challenge is a sketch challenge. I ended up making 2 cards; this is my first.

As per the challenge rules, I based my card on their sketch:


I began by choosing which ODBD stamp I wanted to use. I decided on the largest and smallest of the "Sweet William Singles" flower stamps. I die cut a piece of cream cardstock with Lawn Fawn's "Stitched Journaling Card" die. I then stamped the larger flower a few times onto that, and filled in with the smallest stamp, using Cherry Red pigment ink from Stampabilities. I cut a piece of burgundy patterned paper from my scrap stash to have an 1/8" mat all around the focal panel, and rounded the corners with my 1/4" Corner Chomper.

For the background, I embossed a piece of green cardstock with one side of the "Garden Lattice" M-Bossabilites folder by Spellbinders. I chose a piece of teal paper with a subtle pattern from my scraps for the mat, and cut the banners and smaller mats from it as well. I found a paper with a small floral pattern on my scrap desk left from another project, and used that for the panel behind the stamped piece.

I used a stamp from Simon Says Stamp's "Summer Garden" set for my greeting. I stamped it in Versafine Onyx Black ink onto another piece of cream cardstock, then matted it with the teal paper. And that finished this card front.

Or so I thought. Apparently, I'd gotten a little glue on my finger, which had gotten tacky. Not realizing this, I touched the greeting panel, and the glue stuck to the cardstock and tore it a little. My heart sank at first, because there was no really good way to redo it, short of starting over on the whole card. But then I thought this would be a good opportunity for embellishing! So I found some sequins by Doodlebug Designs, some rhinestones, and a pink button. I adhered the button & sequins to the panel, adding the rhinestones on top of the sequins to give a more "finished" look. I added rhinestones to a couple of the flower centers as well. The upper corner of the greeting panel looked a little barren, so I colored a tiny clear button with Lettuce alcohol ink, and added that & a couple more sequins and rhinestones. I stitched through the button holes with black embroidery floss, and THAT finished the card front! Finally, I adhered the completed card front to a 4.5x7.25" card base.

I'm also entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes" challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Andrea, another beautiful card, and don't you just love how an "oops" turns out wonderfully! It's like our lives and how God uses the trials and hard times in our lives and makes us more like Christ! Beautiful use of the Sweet Williams, and I love your embossed background (have that and love it). Really beautiful card, Andrea, and thanks for joining us for our ODBD Shining the Light challenge with two cards! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Andrea - I love the colour scheme especially.
    Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful! Love the textures, colors and embellishments! Great job Andrea! Again, so glad you joined us at ODBD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Andrea!! I just love different colors, textures, and use of the sweet williams on your creations. It certainly does not look like an oops...the embellishments are the perfect touch!! Great take on the sketch!! Thanks for joining us at ODBD!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!