Sunday, July 20, 2014

You Are Loved


This is my second card for the "Patriotic or Red, White, & Blue" challenge at Our Daily Bread Designs' blog. For this card, I decided to use ODBD's "Dahlia" stamp. The design was initially inspired by the "square in a square" sketch by May Flaum at this year's Camp Scrap. I stamped the flower on a larger piece of white bristol cardstock, planning to add the ribbon and greeting below it. Unfortunately, that panel got messed up a bit with ink (after I'd stamped & colored the flower, of course!). So I ended up fussy cutting the flower, and popping it up on a burgundy panel with foam adhesive. So it ended up not being exactly true to May's sketch, but at least I made it work.

For the greeting, I used one from this digital stamp set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. I cut a piece of bristol, and rounded the corners at one end with the 1/4" side of my Corner Chomper. Then I punched a hole in the rounded end to create a small tag. I sized the greeting and printed it on the tag.

I wanted to have the tag tied to the ribbon, but when I tried to tie the bakers twine around the ribbon, it just didn't look right. So I ended up tying a piece of white thread around the ribbon to bunch it up. Then I threaded the twine through the hole in the tag and tied it in a bow. Finally, I just glued the tag in place. I added a drop of Claudine Hellmuth's Multi Medium Matte under the twine and on the knot to hold them in place, and also on the ends of the twine, to keep them from fraying.

To finish the card, I cut a piece from blue cardstock to a standard A2 card size, then cut a piece of bristol slightly smaller. I adhered the blue piece to a card base, and rounded the corners with my 1/2" Corner Chomper. I rounded the corners of the bristol with the 3/8" Corner Chomper, and finally rounded the corners of the burgundy piece with the 1/4". This way, each panel fit nicely inside the next larger one. I adhered the white bristol piece to the blue, and glued down the burgundy piece to that. I will be sending this card to Operation Write Home, so a hero overseas can write home to a loved one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Andrea, this is another beauty!! Two for this challenge - how wonderful! Well, I love fussy cutting myself, so I think the "oops" was perfect! And we know that God never makes mistakes and takes our messes and makes them beautiful! I love the shades you've chosen, and what a beautiful sentiment! That Dahlia really pops!! Pinning this one! Hugs, sweet friend, and thanks for joining us again for the ODBD Shining the Light challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!