Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Thick" and "Thin" Card Challenge

Another of the challenges for the Operation Write Home Virtual Card Making Party was to make a "thick" AnyHero card--to send a thank you note to a hero overseas--and a "thin" version, for a hero to write home on. AnyHero cards can be quite dimensional, since OWH just puts them in zipper bags in the shipping boxes. But the cards that our heroes send back home have to be pretty thin, so they do not have to pay extra postage to mail them.

For my cards, I made 2 versions using the same sketch from OWH:



For the "thick" card, the sample card from the challenge post inspired me to make rosettes for the circle elements. I also decided to go with a red, white, & blue color scheme.


Because of the size of my "thank you" stamp, I made a 2-inch rosette using the Tim Holtz "Mini Rosettes" die, to put in the center. Then I made 4 smaller rosettes to go around it. When I glued the rosettes to the backing pieces to keep them in shape, I had to put a somewhat heavy object on each to keep it flat. After that came the hardest part--waiting for the glue to dry!

For the background, I embossed a piece of white cardstock with the "A2 Tiny Stars" embossing folder by The Paper Studio, and mounted that onto a piece of the same dark blue cardstock I'd used for the blue rosettes and "thank you" piece. I stamped one of the borders from Mama Elephant's "Basic Borders" set onto a strip of red cardstock using Versamark ink, and heat embossed it with Recollections "Snow" embossing powder.

I threaded silver embroidery floss through the holes in 4 white buttons, and glued them to the centers of the smaller rosettes. I finished the card by gluing the rosettes in place on the embossed background, and gluing the red strip down the left side.


My second, "thin" card is basically the same design, using many of the same supplies. I substituted the Cuttlebug "Spots & Dots" embossing folder for the white background. Instead of the rosettes, I die cut scalloped circles using a Lifestyle Crafts die set. I glued the white circles, cut from The Paper Studio's "Pearlized Cardstock" mat stack, to the red and blue circles. After I'd assembled the card front, I felt the "faux rosettes" looked a little too plain, so I did some dots with a white gel pen on the red and blue cardstock circles, and red and blue gel pens on the white circles.

I'm entering these cards in Virginia's View Challenge #5: Die Cutting.

2 comments:

  1. Both are awesome versions of using the Rosette die cut! You have showcased how versatile these dies are, Andrea! Fabulous work all around! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia's View Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for participating in my challenge!
    I really like your two versions and like your white dot detail!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!