Saturday, July 26, 2014

Takin' It Easy


I've been having a ball in this year's Camp Scrap, led by our intrepid camp director, May Flaum. The "By Design" class sketch in Week 3 she calls "the strip." The basic premise is to take an element--my photos in this case--and span the width or height of your project.

I knew when I was planning this layout that I wanted to use this design, but didn't have any other ideas as to photos, theme, etc. I started by going through some of my photos, and came across these 3 that I had taken of two of our cats, Barney & Zipper, lying on my mom's bed. The fact that I had exactly three 4x6" photos from that moment--which would fill the height of a 12x12" layout--seemed like kismet! So I decided I had to scrap those.

I found a "cool cat" 12x12" sheet of vellum that I have had in my stash literally for years. I got a sheet of cream-colored cardstock, and adhered the vellum to it with tape runner, just under where the photos would go, so they would hide the adhesive. Then I stitched around the edges with our sewing machine. That gave it texture, but also served to attach the vellum to the cardstock without adhesive showing.

After I adhered the photos, I got to work on the title. I cut 2 scalloped circles using a Lifestyle Crafts nested die set, one from cream, and another from navy blue. I created the title in Photoshop, adding the paw prints above the words with the custom shape tool. I printed it onto the cream scalloped circle, and then inked around the edges with Frayed Burlap Distress ink. Then I matted that onto the navy blue circle.

I didn't feel the need for journaling, since the photos are pretty self-explanatory. So I just added Barney's & Zipper's names and the date to a cream die cut banner, and matted it with navy. Finally, I glued down the title and banner, and the layout was finished!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cute! I love your cute cats, pretty vellum and the stitching...great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :::high five::: for using up old stash in making a layout you like! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!