Sunday, May 25, 2014

You're Always in My Heart


The current challenge at Our Daily Bread Designs' blog is to use this sketch they posted:


I tend to find sketch challenges difficult, especially when there is so much room for interpretation (e.g. no measurements provided). This card could be any size, any theme, not to mention being able to adapt the sketch to your own idea. The possibilities are almost endless! This kind of "freedom" tends to lead to creativity-freeze for me. But I decided to give it a go nonetheless!


To begin, I rotated the sketch 90 degrees. I also moved the scalloped border to the middle, as my greeting strip. Otherwise, I tried to stay true to the basic premise of the sketch.

The floral stamp is the mid-sized one from this set by Our Daily Bread Designs. I stamped it several times on a purple paper (which had a subtle pattern) in Versamark, then clear heat-embossed it. After the embossing cooled, I blended Dusty Concord Distress ink over the whole panel with my Mini Ink Blending Tool. Wherever I'd embossed resisted the ink, resulting in a pretty two-tone look.

For the greeting, I cut a strip of the same purple patterned paper, and punched the bottom edge with the Martha Stewart "Arch Lattice" edge punch. I stamped the greeting from this Hero Arts stamp set in Dusty Concord. I placed the greeting slightly off-center overall, so it would be centered between the left edge of the panel and the bakers twine I added.

I double-matted the focal panel, added my bakers twine around the one side, and mounted the whole thing onto my card front. I will be sending this to Operation Write Home, for one of our military heroes to write home to their loved one on.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Our Daily Bread Designs "Sketch"
Simon Says Stamp's Monday "Botanical"
A Blog Named Hero Challenge #44: "You're the (em) Boss"

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Andrea, I got a chuckle out of your comment about sketches! Sometimes they make me freeze too, but I love what you've done with yours! Beautiful colors with the Sweet Williams, and I love the border and twine! So glad you were able to join us again this week for the ODBD Shining the Light challenge, sweet friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I like all you've done: embossing on patterned paper, resist, off-setting the sentiment (great idea), and flipping the sketch! Thanks for playing along at A Blog Named Hero!

    PS: I happen to love sketches - you should check out my monthly sketch post at ABNH on the third of each month. My aim is to help you feel more comfortable about sketches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for playing along with A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!