Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Old-Fashioned Thanks!


Some months ago, I got a set of Hero Arts greeting stamps with an old typewriter-style font. But I didn't have a typewriter stamp (or anything else) to go with them. So when I saw this new Spellbinders In'spire die, I jumped at the chance to get it. While I didn't use any of those Hero Arts stamps on this card, I did use some letter stamps for the greeting.

I began my card by choosing this Operation Write Home sketch:



I especially liked the retro Polaroid look of the focal panel. I had to enlarge it slightly to accommodate the size of the typewriter die, and eliminated the horizontal band behind the focal area.

I chose 2 patterned papers with vintage imagery from the FarmHouse Paper Company's "302 Paper Pack" 6x6" pad. I die cut the typewriter from black paper, and cut a smaller piece of silver cardstock from Die Cuts with a View to glue behind the area where the typewriter keys are. For the paper in the typewriter, I cut a 2" wide strip of white cardstock. I stamped the "Thanks!" letters on it, then wove it into the typewriter, glued it in place, and trimmed off the excess.

After cutting a piece of teal blue cardstock for the center of the "Polaroid" frame, I glued it to the paper clip patterned piece, and glued the typewriter so it is sitting on the bottom edge of the teal piece. To help the paper clip piece stand out a little more against the pattern behind it, I inked around the edges with Walnut Stain Distress ink. I glued that panel to the other patterned paper, and matted the whole thing with more black paper before adhering it to an A2 card base.

I gave this card to a local Boy Scout troop, for one of their boys to write a thank you note to an overseas military hero. I will be sending it, along with the rest I made for this project, to Operation Write Home, to send on to our heroes.

I'm entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Work It Wednesday "Patterned Paper" challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!