Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma!



This is kind of a silly card I made for my mom for Mother's Day this Sunday. We have 3 cats, whom I consider my "kids." So, of course, my mom is their grandma! I have never made her a Mother's Day card from the cats, so this is certainly a first for me (and for her, too)!

I used the following sketch from Operation Write Home as the basis for my design:


Because of the stamp I used, I had to flip the circle to the right side of the card, so the cat would be looking "inward" on the card. I also ended up leaving off the 2 smaller circle embellishments, feeling they would make it too busy.

I stamped the cat using this stamp from Our Daily Bread Designs onto a piece of white cardstock. I colored the flowers and grass with colored pencils, and added just a bit of pink to the cat's nose and ear. I die cut & embossed that with a Spellbinder's Standard Circles (Sm) die. For the mat, I used the next size up of their Standard Circles (Lg) die set, and cut it from yellow cardstock.

The floral patterned paper I used for the background is from Simple Stories' "Vintage Bliss" 6x6" paper pad. I punched a piece of green patterned paper I pulled from my (all-too-vast) scrap collection with the Fiskars "Scalloped Sentiment" border punch. I adhered the floral pattern to a piece of the same yellow cardstock I'd matted the focal piece on; and glued the circle piece, after I'd cut off one side, to that. I adhered a piece of black cardstock below the floral panel, overlapping the focal panel and tucking the scalloped piece under the bottom edge of the black strip.

For the greeting, I combined 2 of the images from this digital stamp set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. I used one of the "Happy Mother's Day" greetings, adding the "Grandma" after it. For the comma between them, I actually copied and pasted the apostrophe from "Mother's" and positioned it where I wanted it in Photoshop. Finally, I added the exclamation point at the end, and printed it out onto a piece of light teal cardstock, which I adhered to the black strip on the card front.

And there it is--a card I hope my mom will get a kick out of!

I'm entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's "Work It Wednesday" challenge for May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!