Tuesday, April 15, 2014

World's Best Dad!


Operation Write Home's deadline for Father's Day cards is 30 April. So I decided I'd better get hopping on those. This is one of my latest, based on this sketch by OWH:



For the background panel, I just used a piece of blue cardstock. I pulled a piece of dark brown cardstock with a slight texture from my stash for the mats. The patterned papers are both from 7gypsies' "Postale" 6x6" paper pad.

Rather than the 3 round embellishments on the right shown in the sketch, I decided to try something different. I had seen Kristina Werner demonstrate coloring through a stencil when I took Online Card Classes' "Stenciled" class a few months ago. She used a colored pencil, and just colored in a sketchy fashion through the opening in the stencil. I recently got the Tim Holtz "Stars" layering stencil, and thought it would be perfect for this technique. So I colored the stars directly on the grid patterned paper with a blue pencil, to pick up on the blue in that paper and the background cardstock. I was rather pleased with how it came out. So pleased, in fact, that I couldn't stop at just 3, and did 6 whole stars (plus tiny portions at the top and bottom of the rows) instead!

For the greeting banner, I cut a piece of white cardstock to the size shown in the sketch. I inked it with Antique Linen Distress Ink, and then printed the greeting from this digital stamp set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps onto it. I glued it to its mat, layered all the papers on the card front, and adhered it to an A2 card base.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!