Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Happy Father's Day Star



I recently got a couple of new 6x6" patterned paper pads at my local scrapbooking store. They have lots of more masculine-looking papers, which I felt I needed to make Father's Day cards for Operation Write Home this month. I decided for this card I wanted a design with lots of layers involved. I looked through my OWH sketch collection, and found this one, which definitely fit the bill:



I searched my stamp collection to find a focal image. The one I chose was too large for the panel in the sketch, so I had to improvise a little. I cut the second and third panels, as shown in the sketch, using papers from the FarmHouse 6x6" "302 Paper Pack." I overlapped them and adhered them temporarily with repositionable adhesive. Then I stamped the star image from this stamp set by Tim Holtz on the panels in Versamark ink, and heat-embossed it in gold. I separated the panels, and matted each on tan cardstock. I did change the "layer" measurements in the sketch slightly, so those panels had only a 1/16" mat, rather than 1/8", so it wouldn't break up the image too much. I layered those on another pattern from the same pack, and mounted them to a paper from 7gypsies' "Venice" 6x6" pad.

For the greeting, I was going to use one from this digital stamp set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. But I couldn't find one that seemed to fit the general look of the card. So I finally created my own in Photoshop, and printed it on the same tan cardstock I'd used for the mats on the middle layers. I inked the edges of the panel with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, and adhered 2 threaded buttons to it. Then I glued it on to the card front, and mounted the whole front onto a standard A2 card base.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes with Buttons"
Simon Says Stamp's Monday "The One with Lots of Rules"

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous card for any macho dad! It's always a challenge for me to make manly cards, but you really nailed it! I liked the patterned background you used and the star image is just perfect. I love the dimension you added with the buttons, too. Really wonderful work and I'm so glad you shared it with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!