Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Happy Birthday--with Cupcakes!



I was inspired to do this card by a previous one I did recently, which you can see in this post. This time, though, I took a different tack, using a border punch instead of stamping. I based the design on this sketch from Operation Write Home, which I rotated 180 degrees:


To punch the strips, I used Fiskars' "Cupcakes" border punch. At first, I punched them all from the dark blue cardstock, but realized that didn't allow any contrast between the strips. So I used only one blue strip, and pulled out the green, fuchsia, & yellow-orange cardstocks and punched them as well. I backed the punched-out areas with strips of a patterned paper from the "Take Note" 6x6" paper pad by Doodlebug Designs. It's subtle, but I think it adds a nice punch of pattern (pun intended!). I layered each strip on the light blue background cardstock, overlapping them slightly.

To help fill in the large blank space below the greeting, I wrapped some blue baker's twine around the punched panel and tied it in a bow. I applied a dot of Glossy Accents under the bow, to help keep it in place.

I stamped the "Happy Birthday" greeting from this Hero Arts stamp set on purple cardstock, then heat-embossed it with metallic blue embossing powder by American Crafts. I cut this panel narrower than the background, so I could add a banner look. I cut two small banner ends from the same cardstock, and glued them in place above the twine. Then I adhered the greeting panel over them, slightly offset towards the top, being careful to make sure it was on straight. I rounded the corners with my 1/2" Corner Chomper. Finally, I mounted the completed panel to a piece of kraft cardstock, adhered that to an A2 card base, and rounded the corners of the card.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Happy Birthday"
A Blog Named Hero's Challenge #41: "Build a Background"

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Andrea :-) the colours and whole design of this is fabulous !:-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x
    apologies for the missing linky, I have linked your card on the challenge blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun colors - and I love that border, Andrea! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card. I love the layering. Thanks for playing with us over at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you have used the border punch, Andrea - really creative! Thanks for joining us at A Blog Named Hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to use your border punches! Love all the colors. Will put this technique on my to-do-list :) Thanks for taking part of the challenge at ABNH!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!